7.06.2012

Hill Sprints



This summer I’ve been jogging in a neighborhood with lots of hills, having realized yesterday would be the last day I would be working out at 6pm.  The heat was finally too much, I will have to go early in the morning or later in the evening.  While on my route I regularly see deer in yards, in wooded lots and sometimes out on the soccer fields.  For a couple of seconds I feel like I’m somewhere other than a neighborhood in the middle of Texas summer, realizing a few seconds later right where I am. 

While jogging yesterday I decided to break up the run and deal with the heat I would do hill sprints/walk or light jog recovery.  One of my favorite things to do on vacation is find a trail to hike.  To distract my mind on the hills, I began to think of climates I wish I was in and hikes I could be doing.  

These came to mind … but, I’m always looking for new places to add to my list – share if you have a favorite vacation spot that includes hiking! 
  • Yellowstone National Park
  • Big Bend
  • Jackson Hole Wyoming
  • Anywhere in Colorado
  • Alaska
  • Mountains in Tennessee
  • Sedona
  • Seattle or Oregon
Despite the heat, it always does me good to conquer hills physically, because I know it gives me strength when I need to conquer hills emotionally or spiritually.  Putting one foot in front of the other, sometimes at a walk, slow jog or a sprint, sometimes over rough terrain, piping hot asphalt or cool mountain air … step by step I know I will make it to the top. 

Blessings,
Angie

No comments: